2020 has been such a tough year! For many of us, it is only by God’s grace that we have made it into 2021! Our fight against COVID and all the devastating consequences of the virus must not stop until most of our people have been vaccinated and we have it under control.
All of us are going to need to be strong this year. One word comes to mind: ENDURANCE……. the ability to keep going when we feel like giving up. A resolve to be intentional to rely on God’s strength on a daily basis.
I know we are tired of wearing masks. I know we are tired of social distancing. I know we miss fellowshipping with family and friends. But I also know that we cannot let fatigue deter us from doing what is right.
Remember that when you get into a fight with a gorilla, you don’t give up when you are tired, you only give up when the gorilla is tired!
Some scriptures that come to mind:
1 Corinthians 9: 24-27
- 24 Don’t you realise that in a race everyone runs, but only one person gets the prize? So run to win!
- 25 All athletes are disciplined in their training. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize.
- 26 So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing.
- 27 I discipline my body like an athlete, training it to do what I should. Otherwise, I fear that after preaching to others I myself might be disqualified.
- 1 Timothy, my dear son, be strong through the grace that God gives you in Christ Jesus.
- 2 You have heard me teach things that have been confirmed by many reliable witnesses. Now teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others.
- 3 Endure suffering along with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.
- 4 Soldiers don’t get tied up in the affairs of civilian life, for then they cannot please the officer who enlisted them.
- 5 And athletes cannot win the prize unless they follow the rules.
2 Timothy 4: 7-8
- 7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful.
- 8 And now the prize awaits me – the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
I want to encourage you to run your race with purpose, according to the rules (wear those masks!) and you will receive the prize.
God is with us every step of the way and He will give us the endurance we need to finish strong.
May 2021 be better that 2020.